RFE/RL staff

RFE/RL journalists report the news in 21 countries where a free press is banned by the government or not fully established. We provide what many…

More Info

Premium Content

By RFE/RL staff – Apr 03, 2025, 3:00 PM CDT

  • US Secretary of State Marco Rubio affirmed the United States’ commitment to NATO and called for increased defense spending from all member nations.
  • European allies expressed concerns about the Trump administration’s approach to Russia and Ukraine, seeking clarification on US support and strategy.
  • Discussions at the NATO foreign ministers meeting focused on defense spending targets and the ongoing conflict in Ukraine, with uncertainties surrounding future US involvement.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said the Trump administration is committed to remaining in the NATO and urged the military alliance’s 32 members to pledge to increase spending to strengthen its defense capabilities.

Speaking as he arrived at a two-day meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Brussels, Rubio said the United States was “as active as it has ever been” in the alliance as he sought to allay ally concerns that US President Donald Trump is undercutting transatlantic relations.

“President Trump’s made clear he supports NATO. We’re going to remain in NATO,” Rubio said before entering the meeting.

“We do want to leave here with an understanding that we are on a pathway, a realistic pathway, to every single one of the members committed and fulfilling a promise to reach up to 5 percent of spending. That includes the US.”

Ahead of the meeting, NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte also tried to tamp down fears over Trump’s commitment to the alliance, saying in his mind the US’s dedication to NATO “is absolutely clear.”

“I know there has been some tough language. I know that there have been allies, for example, on this side of the pond being worried about the long-term commitment of the US to NATO,” Rutte said on April 2.

“I’m absolutely convinced this alliance is there to stay with the US. Their commitment is absolutely clear,” he added.

NATO allies have been determined to present a united front to counter Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine, but the European allies feel their efforts have been marginalized.

In search of a quick cease-fire deal, Washington has suggested Ukraine might have to make territorial concessions and taken step to restart a dialogue with Russia.

Rubio is expected to be confronted with questions from allies who are alarmed, angered, and confused by the Trump administration’s moves to mend ties with Russia and its rhetorical attacks on longtime transatlantic partners.

Based on what they have seen and heard since Trump took office in January, European officials have expressed deep concerns about the future US role in the alliance.

Rubio likely also will be pressed to explain Trump’s stated desire to make NATO ally Canada the 51st state and his push to annex Greenland, which is autonomous within the Kingdom of Denmark, another NATO ally.

NATO leaders in June were expected to decide whether to raise the defense spending target for each individual member from its current minimum of 2 percent of gross domestic product (GDP).

The Trump administration has previously floated the idea of a 5 percent of GDP spending minimum, while Rutte has been pushing for every ally to commit to spending at least 3.7 percent of GDP on defense as quickly as possible.

Some European allies will be reluctant to commit too much on defense too soon given they are struggling with low growth and ballooning budget deficits.

Trump’s announcement of stiff tariffs on almost every country around the world — which EU trade chief Maros Sefcovic on April 3 called “unjustified” — have exacerbated fears that economic growth could slow even further.

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiha will also attend the NATO meeting and is expected to provide an update on the situation on the battlefield in the war against Russia.

While Ukraine’s membership in NATO is off the table for now, most European allies are keen to at least get assurances that US weapons will continue to go to Ukraine and that NATO’s training mission for Ukrainian soldiers continues to operate.

However, the United States is no longer chairing the Ukraine Defense Contact Group, known as the Ramstein group, which coordinates military support for Kyiv. The United Kingdom chaired the last meeting of the group in February, and the next one tentatively scheduled for April 11 could be co-chaired by the UK and France.

By RFE/RL 

More Top Reads From Oilprice.com

  • Iran Targets Dramatic Increase From Oil Fields Bordering Iraq
  • Oil Prices Crash 7% on Trump Tariffs, OPEC Ramp-Up
  • UK Prepared for Economic Challenges in Changing World

Download The Free Oilprice App Today


Back to homepage

RFE/RL staff

RFE/RL journalists report the news in 21 countries where a free press is banned by the government or not fully established. We provide what many…

More Info

Related posts

Leave a comment

www.globalmotohub.com